Re: Problems with my tank fish dieing

Nasty!  I knew there was a reason we don't keep souped-up substrates in
our hatchery tanks.

I have no idea of why this happened without some sort of test results.
Was there a high amount of nitrate or ammonia when you pulled up the
substrate?  Usually you can smell H2S before it gets to the black root
phase.

  - Erik

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Robert Marshall wrote:

> You gave me some advice about seachem Flourish and I am in desperate
> need of immediate help.  I am using clay and sand as a substrate.  My
> plants are doing very well.  So well I have to remove one because it was
> growing out of my tank.  I removed it my water became cloudy and the
> next day half of my fish were died - including a recently hatch group of
> Apistogramma cacatuoides still in a coconut.  I am using a fertilizer
> used in a water garden which is safe for fish and is (14-3-3).  Are the
> fish dying from hydrogen sulphide because of the substrate?  The roots
> of the plant that I removed look healthy and not black or brown like it
> say in a book I read.  What should I do I REALLY don't want to lose my
> Apistogrammas because it was so hard to get them being in Newfoundland.
> I am also sending this message to Erik Olson who has been of great help
> in the past and the Aquatic Plants List.  If either of you can help me I
> will be alway greatful.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Rob

---