Re: cheaper lighting?

>Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:55:19 -0800
>From: Jim Wilson <freaks at aracnet_com>
>Subject: cheaper lighting?
>
>I have seen this question posted but never a real answered. So i thought
>may be I would give it a try.
>
>Is ther a less expensive alternative to using florecent aquarium light?
>
>$15 and up a piece is spendy when have four of them to replace!!
>
>------------------------------

Jim,

Where are you buying your fixtures and bulbs?  Here in Ohio, the fixtures
(flourescent) usually run anywhere from 8-10 dollars for tar ballast types.
I personally use chroma 75's and 50's in a 50/50 mix over a 90g.  I will
be switching to the SPX65's here shortly.  I can get them at Granger's for
$2.50 a piece - check their web site  - http://www.grainger.com/
IMHO, there is little need for Triton's over fish-only or low plant load
tanks.  They have a place in the hobby but I have great success _without_
them and my tanks are heavily planted.  BTW, I do own one so I am
commenting from experience.

Matthew T. Mason                              "What is the path?
Doctoral Student                                    There is no path."
The Ohio State University                     -- Niels Bohr
Department of Molecular Genetics        (Physicist)
mason.163 at osu_edu