Re: Zebra Mussels

     >Read an article in FAMA that SIU is experimenting on Zebra Mussels to
     >clean up manure lagoons. Another friend mentioned that these mussels
     >filter up so much Phosphorus and nutrients in the Great Lakes that
     >the plankton population is too low to support Walleye frys. Any
     >possibility on using them to suck up phosphorus in our tanks thus
     >eliminating algae problems ?

     Aquarists have already been implicated in the introduction and spread
     of many unwanted pest species, like water hyacinth, Hydrilla and
     Eurasian milfoil, which has resulted in millions of dollars of
     economic and environmental damage.  Let's not add the zebra mussel to
     the list of species we have helped spread.  Besides, it is probably
     illegal to possess this species in your state.  A lot of people are
     working very hard to halt the spread of this introduced pest.

     Zebra mussels filter out particulates (e.g., plankton, detritus) from
     the water, and because of their sheer numbers they are pretty good at
     removing almost everything from the water column, even from a body as
     large as one of the Great Lakes.  In response to your question, they
     indirectly remove phosphorus and other nutrients by removing plankton
     and detritus.  I can envision zebra mussels taking over your aquarium,
     then crashing when the food runs out.  This is not a good idea.

     For more information, check out:

     http://www.science.wayne.edu/~jram/zmussel.htm

     Regards,

     Mark