Re: Natural Waters vs Aquariums

>Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 00:10:37 -0500
>From: "James Purchase" <jpurch at interlog_com>
>Subject: Re: Natural Waters vs Aquariums
>
> Witness the Nitrogen Cycle which in our
>aquariums usually ends in the accumulation of Nitrate in the water. The
only "practical" method to rid our artifical systems of this excess is to
>regularly change a portion of the water.

This is generally true. When aquariums are unfortunately "blessed" with an
accumulation of nitrate, adding nitrate thru PMDD (or whatever) is not a
good idea. However, some aquariums (especially with few fish relative to
lots of plants) will not end up with an accumulation of nitrate and may in
fact be nitrogen limited. Only in such N limited aquariums,and only in N
limited systems, can there be a benefit from adding nitrate.

As JP correctly says,

>Blindly adding an ounce of this and ten drops of that just
>because of heresay is not only poor science, it is poor husbandry.

The key word is "blindly." Armed with an experienced green thumb or test
kits, however, many of the recipes can be applied with reasonable
confidence and predictable results.