RE: random question

> Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 21:26:20 EST
> From: D0NxD0N <D0NxD0N at aol_com>
> Subject: random question
>
> ::yawn:: well the apd has been boring for a while and i just wanted to
ask a
> random question.  i was talking to someone on aol yesterday and he had
> this to say about having a nitrate of 10 ppm-
>
> <<<<Also, the nitrate levels in natural eco-systems (be it the Amazon
> River or the tropical reef) are near 0 ppm.  A well-balanced ecological
system will
> use nearly all of the available nutrients.  Excess nutrients is an
indication
> of an out of balanced biological system.  10 ppm of nitrate would only be
> found in polluted waters.>>>>
>
> is this true?? ive heard some people say that zero nitrates in a planted
> tank isnt necessarily a good thing and a nitrate level of 10 ppm or less
is
> good for the plants.

Last night I watched a program about nitrate levels in seven freshwater
springs which combine to form a good sized river in Florida.  As the divers
swam down this river they reached  point where suddenly the grasses were
covered in brown algae.  They said it was because at that point the river
was joined by a spring which was producing water with a high nitrate level,
a new phenomenon.  "High" in this case was apparently less than 10 ppm.

Here on the list I know people that keep their nitrate levels elevated to
avoid algae.

Can anyone suggest why nitrate levels which are low (and beneficial) in a
planted aquarium cause algae problems in this river?

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir