Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #119

> Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 02:01:50 -0800
> From: Stephen Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
> Subject: research ideas
>
> What kind of research would be useful to aquatic plant people?

What controls the growth of nuisance bluegreen algae at low nutrient
concentrations?

For several years now I've been developing a detailed digital simulation
of aquaria with emphasis on the biological interactions in low-tech
tanks.  The original intent was to someday develop the simulation to the
point were it could be used as a tool to address problems with unstable
transitions in coastal wetlands.  That may never happen, but the
challenge is interesting.

As far as I've gone (not far, really - I'm just starting the substrate
class) I've found two big gaps in the available information.  First, i've
seen no studies that monitor the changes and interrelationships between
multiple chemical and biological characteristics in new aquaria out to
say, 6 months age.  Second, I've seen no studies that measure the
"microbial" biomass in aquaria or that characterize that population's
function in an aquarium.

That information would help address questions about e.g. fishfood as a
sustainable nutrient source, or (as Simone Vicini brings up in this
digest) methods for gaining and maintaining long-term substrate fertility.

Roger Miller
Daffodils are blooming!