Re:"Mite" killer? (Phyllanthus fluitans)

-----------------------------

>Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 19:32:14 -0600
>From: "Merrill Cohen" <amc2 at ix_netcom.com> (by way of Cynthia S Powers
><cyn at metronet_com>)
>Subject: "Mite" killer? (Phyllanthus fluitans)
>
>By dumb luck and observation, Phyllanthus fluitans (a pretty floating plant
>that quickly multiplys) was added to three aquariums with "mites".  In a
>period of a few weeks, the plants multiplied and the "mites" are gone.
>This plant requires good lighting, but does not do too well in ponds with
>bright sunlight.  Koi and Goldfish love to eat this plant in particular.
>
>If someone is having a problem with these little "jumping bugs" on the
>surface of their aquariums............

It sounds like the little jumping bugs are insects in the order Collembola,
also called springtails.  As far as I know, they are harmless to aquatic
plants and live on algae on the surface and sides of the tank.  Phyllanthus
is in the family Euphorbiaceae, which also includes milkweeds, which are
well known for their defensive chemicals.

Paul Krombholz, in central Mississippi with more rain on the way.