Daily cloudy water cycle

For a week or so now, the two 120 gallon tanks that I have sharing one
alrge trickle filter (shared water system) have been doing something I
cannot explain.

First thing in the morning, when the lights come on, the water is very
clear (but not perfect).  By noon or so they are very, very cloudy (milky,
not greenish).  By mid afternoon they are much better again, and by the
evening they are very clear again.

I use MH lighting (350W/tank) and pmdd (as a method, not a recipe).

Both tanks have been running since last summer, but independantly on
canister filters.  They were put on the trickle filter perhaps 6 or 8 weeks
ago, and at that time the substrate of one was significantly disturbed by
extensive replanting.

Can anybody suggest what might be causing this daily clear/cloudy cycle?

Frank.

-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir