Re: Digest V3 #101 - Baking Soda to adjust ph

The ph of my 55 gallon planted tanks drop from 6.8 ( mixed with 7.6 tap ) to
as low as 6.0 in the 10 to 15 days between 30 % water changes. The first month
I was at my new location, I didn't have time for any changes, and the ph
dropped to 5.4 in one tank ! !   Of course , I try to avoid abrupt changes in
ph as much as possible.
I was wondering if there any negative effects of adding baking soda or a
buffer to increase the ph other than sudden change in ph ?
My 2 planted tanks have about 70 plants between them, and only about 30 small
fish. Any further information would be appreciated.
Keith