Update re surface scum

A few months ago I wrote about a problem I was having w/surface scum in one
of two nearly identically setup 120 gallon tanks.  The only difference
between them, aside from the species of plants/fish in them, was that the
tank with surface scum was pH 6.8, the one without was pH 7.2.

For various reasons, the pH of these two tanks was reversed a few weeks
ago.  Water was not moved between the tanks.  Within days, the previously
scum-free tank that was changed to pH 6.8 developed a surface scum problem,
while the other tank, which *had* had the problem, cleared up quite nicely.

I don't know what else may be a factor, but clearly pH makes quite a
difference.

(Today both tanks are clear at 6.8 - The canister filters have been
replaced with a trickle filter which draws surface water via siphon boxes.)

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir