RE: selling plants to the LFS

I have been selling and trading to my LFS for the past year.  I have sold
over 500 green swordtails, 200 white cloud mountain minnows, and tons of
JAVA FERN.  I too have run into the trouble of getting what I would like
for my products.  What I have found out that is better than trying to get
cash is to trade for fish/plant products.  To this date I have acquired:
(1) 30 gallon fish tank
(3) 10 gallon fish tanks
(3) free refills of a 20# CO2 tank
(many) containers of fish food
(many) fish
(6) fluorescent light bulbs to my tanks
(little) cash
The reason for little cash is that this comes right from the stores
profit.  It is better for the small trader/seller to trade for items.  I
have found that the store is more willing to trade for items since it is
better for both sides of the transaction.  The store has a markup on
products that can reach 100%.  If you purchase from the store then you
will be paying all the high prices.  But if you trade I have found that
the store will in essence give you more for your plants/fish since most
of the time they will give you the items a the cost they paid for them
and not the marked up price.
Try to approach the store manager this way.
I have not been to a local Society but I am doing my best to get to a
meeting this month here in Houston.

Best of luck.
Keith

Internet: klwebb at sbec_com