Re: Plants for Goldfish/Blue-Green Woes

Jefferson Ong asked about plants for a goldfish tank which would
survive hard water and 1 tsp./gallon salt as well as provide a
salad for the tank's occupants.

Hornwort, Ceratophyllum demersum, fits the bill, but may not
grow quickly enough in the salted water. Although I've not
kept goldfish, I doubt that the salt is useful. It is most
likely detrimental to their health.

Jonathan Kalmes has a problem with cyanobacteria in a 75 gallon
tank lit with two fluorescent lamps.

He says...
>It has also started
>growing in the back now as well.  The lights run about 10 hours and all the
>plants are going nuts with growth.  It is a litteral jungle in there, but
>the algae has started tackling the plants and it is a daily battle.

Something's wrong with this picture. Are the plants producing oxygen
bubbles? It may seem a littoral jungle going nuts, but my guess would
be that you could do with more growth pumping more oxygen into the
water column. With lighting at one watt per gallon what types of plants
do you have? Are they submersed or floating? Try a circulation pump.

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca