Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #72

>Are some plants more susceptible to certain nutrient deficiencies than
>others?

I suspect that Hygrophila polysperma is particularly susceptible to K
deficiency.   A few months ago my H. polysperma began showing the signs of
K deficiency (holes which began as pinpoints in the middle of leaves and
grew) which eventually got pretty bad.  Toward the end my Echinodorus and
Vallisneria started showing signs as well.  My Java Fern and Sagittaria
never showed any such signs.  I started adding K2SO4 and the deficiency
seems to have (mostly) gone away.  (The H.p. still shows a little
deficiency, nothing else does.)

>I think a strategy for
>successful aquatic plant propagation, mentioned here on the list, is to
>try many different plants and then stick to the ones that grow the best
>in the water available to them.  Could this same idea then be used to
>identify what the water is lacking by what will not grow well?

Good idea.  Perhaps the nutritional deficiency project that people have
been talking about lately could include this information.

Incidentally, Paul mentioned the idea of compiling a list of experiments to
be done and letting the aquatic gardening community choose from that list
and then report their results.  I think that this is a great idea.  I've
been thinking about buying 2 10-gals, setting them next to each other, and
trying slightly different conditions.  It would be great to have a resource
to know what experiments would be most useful.

Chetlen

Chetlen Crossnoe
Baylor College of Medicine
Structural and Computational Biology and Molecular Biophysics
cc691077 at bcm_tmc.edu
"The gods themselves are not for ever glad.  The ineffaceable, sad
birthmark in the brow of man, is but the stamp of sorrow in the signers."
				           --Melville