RE: RO, deionization (lots of questions on deonization)

> Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 16:32:18 -0600
> From: "Cymen Vig" <cymen at ziplink_net>
>
> >Putting the RO waste back into a well is a Bad Idea.  Even if the
> >wellhead
> >time the pump came on.  Besides, returning water through a well is a
> >regulated behavior in most places in the US and requires special
permits.

> >There might be other uses for the water.  For instance, it could be used
> >for irrigation (depending on quality, season and local) used in a "grey
> >water" system or stored for washdown (driveways, cars and so on).
>
>     I've been thinking about this for a couple days.  What would happen
>     if
> one where to build a large tank that the wastewater would go into.  The
> waster water would then be used in the hot water heater.  Of course there
> might not be enough RO waste water for the heater and in that case you
> could
> have a pump that makes sure the waste tank is always filled up half way
> (with waste or pump in new water) or it could be setup so that some logic
> system would detect that the tank was empty and would switch in regular
> water.

This would be easily done.  Plumb an overflow pipe from the top of the
reservoir into your drain system, and plumb regular household water into a
float valve to prevent the reservoir from being emptied.  Then plumb a
small pump into a pressure tank to feed your hot water heater (which
requires pressurized water in order to supply the rest of the house with
pressurized water).

>     Problems I see are buildup on the hot water heater/pipes (but I don't
> know enough to know if this is likely)

It isn't, because you must feed the RO unit with softened water anyhow, so
the water you put into your hot water heater this way is very much the same
as you would have anyhow, but with a slightly higher sodium content.  RO
units typically reject 75% of the water you feed them (I think - can anyone
confirm that?) so the sodium increase would be only one third.

> I want to try one of the resin (sp?) systems that
> deionizes water.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Putting hard water, or previously hard softened water into a DI unit in any
kind of quantity will exhaust the resins fairly quickly.  I do the
following:

well --> softener --> RO --> DI --> output

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir