Source Co2 cylnders/Snail shells

A buisness in Vancouver sells a15lb Co2 cylnder full for $55.    With a refill being $20.If anyone is interested just drop me a line and I will send you there  address and number.                Q.Will the empty snail shells in my Co2 aquarium increase the hardness? My clown loach is obviously doing his job,but by the looks of things Ihad better get a dozen more tocombat this snail problem.Iread somewhere that a film cannester with asmall amount of food buried in the gravel will trap the snails ,has anyone tried this?                           THANX,STEVE