Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #61

<<Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 14:30:52 -0800
From: RiceGuy <ucmagguy at inetworld_net>
Subject: CO2 inection: cheap prophane cylinders?

        I've been to welder's shops to try to get CO2 cylinders, but, I was
unwilling to pay around 100 $ for a 20lb. Anyway, a few days back I found out
that
propane cylinders (the fat stubby type) are only $20 each, and the Propane is
included free. I was wondering if I can get one of those, empty it, and bring
it
to a welder's shop and have them refill it with CO2.
        Anyone ever tried this? Any comments, questions are welcomed>>

If someone tried it they either are dead or have pieces of metal stuck in them
somewhere.  Those propane cylinders are only rated for 300 psig.  CO2 has a
vapor pressure of around 870 psig.
The $100 bucks sounds high, but you then own the cylinder and only pay for the
CO2 when you get it refilled which is very cheap and you don't have to mess
with the DIY stuff.
Tim