Complete Strip Down

You wrote:

Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 15:23:44 -0800
From: RiceGuy <ucmagguy at inetworld_net>
Subject: Complete strip down (what's a good sterilizer for BG algae?)

        After much thought I've decided to strip the tank down and sterilize it.
I would like an entire tank disinfection, plants included. I have a very bad
infestation of blue-green algae, what kind of solution would be a good
sterilizer? I want the sterilize the plants separately, what I need is a
solution
that would not kill my plants. Do the fish need to be sterilize as well?

What would be a good solution? How would I go about doing this?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.      8^)
--------------------------
I Replied:

No need to do a complete strip down.  I had similar problems with BG algae
and treated my tank with erythromycin - 200mg/10g (remember that a 55
gallon tank will hold less water with gravel, etc. so treat the existing
water gallonage).  Got great results from the treatment and the BG algea
was gone in a week.  Did 3 treatments spaced on every other day.  Before
the last treatment though I did a 30% water change.  Also, do a large water
change right before treatment.  If you have other questions let me know.

Matthew T. Mason                            "Pain is just weakness
Doctoral Student                                 leaving the body."
Department of Molecular Genetics      -Bob Douglas
The Ohio State University                   (Friend and fellow
mason.163 at osu_edu                          sport climber)