Middle Support

Raymond Yeo wrote:

The question is ....i have this piece of glass glued right in the middle
of the top of the tank and it look like it's for the main support for
the front and rear walls. I don't really know how effective it is but
it's giving me alot of light loss when dust accumilates
Raymond:

I would not remove the middle support. I had a 55g tank made some years ago
and the maker used a middle support. I thought it was ugly and removed it.
Several weeks later the aquarium cracked.

Modern glass aquariums usually have a plastic rim around the top and bottom
with middle supports. Although these rims may look decorative,  I would
imagine they serve a very integral part in the overall strength of the
aquarium.

If you could devise a way to put a "band" around the top perimeter of the
aquarium, you might be able to eliminate the middle support.  I once used a
stainless steel cable with swivel bolts (to tighten the cable) around the
top of an aquarium to give it more strength - it was an old aquarium that
had a tendency to "split a seam" occasionally.  It was not too esthetically
pleasing, but very effective.

Good luck,

Ken Guin
Kenguin at erols_com