Echinodorus horizontalis

<< I have recently become aware that a rare plant is now available in the U.S.
 >>Specimens were collected in order to be photographed for a book and now are
 >>available to the hobbyists.  Because this plant's habitat is in danger, the
 >>plant is rarely available.  Frankly, I would prefer that this plant not be
 >>purchased by people that don't know how to cultivate it since there are so
 >>few. "Sorry newbies, but it's the truth"  I was hoping some of the more
 >>experienced APDers would take an interest and try to cultivate it for the
 >>benefit of the hobby. >>

Okay, dude.  That's nice, but think for a minute.  If it is being cultivated
for sale, then:
1) this cultivated crop is not endangering the plant in the wild.  Someone
else is doing what you claim to be doing, growing the stuff and making it
available to the hobby.
2) Sometimes, not often, but now and then, a "newbie" will get it right by
accident, while others with more experience fail.  For example, I have had
three spawns of Synodontis nigriventris, all in my first year in the hobby,
all by accident.  But I know how to do it now, and with the space and
available time  could replicate it.  These little cats are almost NEVER
spawned, not because of a lack of interest, but because of a lack of
knowledge, which I stumbled upon as a newbie.
3) The more this plant gets spread around, the better its chance of survival
in captivity.  Check this claim with th species maintenance program of the AKA

Bob Dixon