Re: Good carpet plant

>Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:19:17 -0500
>From: krandall at world_std.com
>Subject: Good "carpet" plant
>
>>Hello, I'm in the process of buying plants for my tank, and I would really
>>like some type of plant that I can use to kind of "carpet" the floor.  I
>>really like that look and I see it a lot in Aquatic Plant books.   I am
>>not familiar with a lot of plants yet, but I have thought of possibly
>>trying Pygmy Chain Swordplant or some type of small Anubias?  I don't know
>>exactly... I need something that will propagate over the tank but remain
>>low to the ground.  Any suggestions?
>
>Both of the above work well.  Lillaeopsis is good too, if you have a fair
>amount of light.  Amano uses both Glossostigma and Riccia in his tanks, but
>both need a lot of light, and Riccia requires a fair amount of work as
>well.    For lower light tanks, small Cryptocorynes work well, but require
>some patience while they're growing in.  Java Moss can be tied to stones
>and used as an almost "instant" ground cover, but must be trimmed
>frequently to maintain this look.
Snipped here....

I had a bad experience with Lillaeopsis & Java Moss in the same aquarium.
I used Lillaeopsis to create a carpet of "grass" along the front of my
90 gallon tank.  A little Java Moss got settled in between the grass and
grew like wildfire! The front part of the tank looked like grass with a massive
attack of string algae.  I ended up pulling up all the Lillaeopsis, remove what
Java Moss I could and replanted. I've been on a Java Moss hunt and destroy mission
ever since. Anyone else have this problem?

Ron Wozniak  Allentown PA, USA
AGA member
rjwozniak at lucent_com