Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #41

>Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 12:37:05 -0600 (CST)
>From: Matt Kowske <xc at innocent_com>
>Subject: Good "carpet" plant
>
>Hello, I'm in the process of buying plants for my tank, and I would really
>like some type of plant that I can use to kind of "carpet" the floor.  I
>really like that look and I see it a lot in Aquatic Plant books.   I am
>not familiar with a lot of plants yet, but I have thought of possibly
>trying Pygmy Chain Swordplant or some type of small Anubias?  I don't know
>exactly... I need something that will propagate over the tank but remain
>low to the ground.  Any suggestions?

Lilaeopsis is often sold in pots and only gets about an inch or two tall.
Glossostigma is thought to be one of the best carpet plants, but is not as
commonly available.  I have not yet got my hands on any Glossostigma and
can't speak from any experience.  A low growing plant I really like is
Hemianthus micranthemoides.  It is bright green and it grows like a weed.
Echinodorus tenellus, pigmey chain, or Echinodorus bolivianus (a bit
larger) or E. quadricostatus (same size as bolivianus but leaves are
broader)  will also carpet the bottom nicely.

Paul Krombholz, in beyond soggy central Mississippi where the inch of rain
forcast became 4 inches.