Re: carpet plants

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:33:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Roxanne Bittman <rbittman at spock_dfg.ca.gov>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: carpet plants

Ahhh, carpet plants, some of my favorite things.

My personal favorite due to looks, not ease of growing, is Glossostigma sp.  I
know it is available from the Aquatic Greenhouse, and maybe elsewhere.  It has
some specific requirements including very high CO2 and a rich, deep substrate
and possibly an acidic pH.

I am currently growing Marsilea sp (cuneata?) for the first time, so I can't
make recommendations on its behalf yet, though its seems to be propagating
rapidly so far.   It looks a little like Glossostigma and is very cute and low
growing (flat).

For a grassier look, try Echinodorus tenellus or Eleocharis acicularis.  The
latter has very fine leaves; both propagate across the tank rapidly; they both
need thinning or at least controlling unless you want them all over.

I have been told that you can turn Micranthemum micranthemoides into a carpet,
but I prefer to grow this as more of a "bush."

Hope this helps.

Roxanne Bittman