re: Name That Plant

> ------------------------------>
> Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 08:34:18 +0000
> From: "Brad Grenard" <brgrenard at SMLY-01_HFS.PURDUE.EDU>
> Subject: Name that plant
>
> The LFS has a plant for sale that is labeled "Ozelot Sword".  It
> strongly resembles an Amazon Sword but it has some redish veins in
> the stems and leaves.  It is about 5 -6 inces tall.  The staff at the
> LFS doesn't know the species name.  Anyone care to guess?  It's a
> really beautiful plant and I'm tempted to buy one, but at $14.99
> each, I'd like to know more about it first.  Thanks for any help.

Brad, I bought a plant sold by the name "Ocelot Sword" that is likely
the same plant to which you are referring. I am pretty sure that it is a
color variety of Echinodorus Osiris, which are commonly referred to as
melon swords. The elongated, melon shaped leaves are marked with darker
green to reddish splotches. The new leaves are a copper- red color. It
really is quite an attractive plant, and mine has been easy to take care
of. It has flowered frequently. It doesn't seem to grow quite as rapidly
as my plain green melon swords, and I would consider this a plus as
these plants can get too big, too fast. This past summer I grew some of
these emersed outdoors, where they really seem to grow fast.

Hope this helps, Pat Bowerman