Re:clouded glass, Samolus, sulfide from driftwood

Dave Gomberg wrote, Tuesday, Jan. 6:
>.....You can get rid of those glass rings by using the universal glass solvent,
>vinegar.  That is why it is packaged in plastic these days, too many glass
>vinegar bottles were dissolving.  Anyway, it will clean those rings right
>up.  And if it doesn't get some muriatic acid at the hardware store.  That
>will get the rings for sure.

Vinegar would work well with calcium carbonate deposits, but these are SiO2
deposits.  I once tried concentrated HCl, which is close to 100%, whereas
muriatic acid is only 20%, but it didn't touch these deposits.  It, by the
way, came in a glass bottle.  I heard that strong alkalis were more likely
to dissolve glass, and I once tried scrubbing with steel wool, a few drops
of water and pieces of sodium hydroxide, but I didn't see any effect.  I
have also tried scrubbing with fine grades of wet sandpaper, but, alas, no
improvement.  I may try spraying the clouded glass with a clear acrylic
varnish, but I worry about organic compounds coming off the varnish that
might be harmful to the plants.

Thomas Kryger wrote, Tues., Jan. 6:

>I realy don't now much about this plant, except it's name which is
>Samolus. I >don't now if it's the true name of this plant........

I got Samolus from PetSmart about a year ago.  It grows very slowly and
produces little plants at the internodes.  It produced 20 or 30 small
plantlets for me, most of which are still hanging on. Kasselmann says that
it is quite tolerant of brackish water.  It has very fine roots, and,
therefore, probably does not like soil with a lot of organic matter.

Jeff and Denise Dietsch wrote about Sulfide gas around driftwood causing
damage to Anubias.  Tues, Jan. 6.

Anubias barteri is one of the few aquarium plants that, along with
Microsorium and Bolbitis, do not have large air channels in their roots.
From what I have read about their natural habitats, these plants cling to
solid surfaces and do not send their roots into anaerobic mud.  Try
planting a sword plant or some crypts, or some Sagitteria near the
driftwood.  These plants should be much more tolerant of anaerobic
conditions in the soil, and they should be able to aerate the area around
the driftwood.

Paul Krombholz, in soggy Madison, Mississippi