Re: Metal halides

Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 08:04:17 PST
From: "tom prather" <prather2 at hotmail_com>

> Does anyone know the proper height (from top of tank or water) that a
> metal halide lamp needs to be?

It depends on how much light you want.  We are happy having the bulb about 14"
from the water. That provides a surface intensity of about 15,000 Lux. In a 24"
deep tank with typical foliage, this allows low foreground palnts to receive
about 1500 Lux.

> Also, does it matter if you use a low bay or high bay fixture?

I don't know what that means.

> What kelvin temp is the best to use with live plants,

"Best" varies with opinion.  Most provide enough light energy in important bands
to keep plants happy. 4300K costs less but make the plants look yellow.  5500K
give a good color balance but costs more.  6500K may be OK but I have no
experience with them.  10000K may be too blue.

> and with corals?  Also, does anyone have any information as to
> culture for marine plant life (i.e. caulerpa, halimeda,
> pencillus dumetosus 'shaving brush'?

Ooops, wrong list!

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
Need Info?  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts.htm