Re: DIY reflector

Matthew writes:

<<
> This issue comes up quite a lot over the years.  I'm certain that the
> information is out somewhere for the exact percentage, but bright white
> paint reflects something like 95% of the light.  A full-on polished chrome
> reflector did something like 98% or 99%.

Wadw Shimoda, who subscribes to this list, works for a company that helps
businesses save money by replacing 4-tube flourescent fixtures with
reflectorized 3-tube fixtures.  The result is a 25% savings on electricity,
with the same, or very near the same lumens output from the fixtures.  Wade,
are the fixtures you guys replace normally painted white, as the vast majority
are?  If so, then white reflectors reflect only about 75%, not your "something
like 95%", of the tube's output.

> In summary, 99% of all people are wasting their optimization efforts (on a
> meager 5%) to worry about doing anything but providing a nice flat white
> surface for the light to bounce off of.

IMHO, I can clearly see the difference.  I'll keep spending the 98 cents per
fixture to spray them with chrome paint.

> Issues that are more important to maximize the lights benefit IMHO are:
<<snip
> 4. The type of ballast you're using.

Now here's something I haven't heard before.  Matthew, share a little more for
us on what you know (not what you've conjectured) on this concept that a
different ballast can improve the output of the tubes.

Bob Dixon
 				Cheers,
 				Matthew