Re: Hygrophila polysperma

>Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 09:20:40 +0100
>From: "Simone e Pierluigi Vicini" <psvicini at mdnet_it>
>
>Does anyone of you have Hygrophyla polisperma growing brown?
>I cannot grow it green maybe for the laterite in the gravel. It grows
>quickly and with big leaves now but it's brown. The other think is that all
>my plants seem to grow well but they are not very green. I mean that deep
>and bright green. I'm adding K but maybe I should switch to HQI lamp or
>maybe a fluorescent bulb with an high color temperature.

It may be due to light with too much intensity!  Many plants develop a reddish
pigment on the leaves near the surface to protect them from the bright light.
Sort of like people getting a sun tan. Are the lower leaves green or is the
whole plant brownish?  If you suspect this, try increasing the distance from the
light to the water as an experiment.

George