Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #1169

JOlson8590 <JOlson8590 at aol_com> wrote Wed, Dec. 31:

>.....I am puzzled. My understanding is, the Genus can be reclassified, but the
>species cannot be given a different name. Also, "he who names first is right,"
>meaning only that the first person who classifies a "new" plant determines the
>species name. Sometimes, however, a SECOND person, at a later time, also
>"classifies" and "names" a plant, and THAT name is the one in general use.
>When competent evidence is presented that another person had given the same
>plant a DIFFERENT species name, AT AN EARLIER DATE, the name must change to
>the earliest name.............

With this group of long, narrow-leaved crypts, I am guessing that the
current thinking is that a number of separate species are realy all
varieties of one species, C. crispatula.  So now we have C. crispatula,
var. balansae, C. crispatla, var. tonkinensis, C. crispatula, var.
flacidifolia, (spelling probably wrong)  and several other varieties I
can't remember.

Simone e Pierluigi Vicini <psvicini at mdnet_it> wrote, Wed. Dec. 31:

>......Does anyone of you have Hygrophyla polisperma growing brown?
>I cannot grow it green maybe for the laterite in the gravel. It grows
>quickly and with big leaves now but it's brown. The other think is that all
>my plants seem to grow well but they are not very green. I mean that deep
>and bright green. I'm adding K but maybe I should switch to HQI lamp or
>maybe a fluorescent bulb with an high color temperature...........

The brown color is due to strong light and good growing conditions. You
have very happy plants.   To get the bright green color, H. polysperma has
to be in a lot less light.  Aquarium plants that stay green in strong light
are almost a minority.  Hygrophila difformis always stays green, as far as
I know.

Paul Krombholz, in cool, breezy Jackson, Mississippi.