CEC

To the CEC debaters:

1.  Has anyone seen/performed a _real_ experiment set (one with +/-
controls and same condition experiments) with laterite, kitty litter,
vermiculite, and sand?

2.  Has anyone _personally_ read data that shows that a high CEC actually
releases the cations after surface bonding - remember that in certain
cercumstances high CEC may be strong bond energies and therefore difficult
to remove an ion once bound (hypothesis here).  And if it does release the
ions then at what concentration in relation to binding; i.e., is the
release proportional to the binding or is is very un balanced?

3.  What is the longest time frame that a laterite, kitty litter,
vermiculite tank has been stable and growing _without_ water column
fertilization?  It seems to me, and other authors, that substrate
fertilization is a more efficient manner to deliver nutrients.  Now, before
people get their undees in a bunch, re-read the question.  Only answer the
question if you can satisfy _all_ parts of the question concerning a
specific substrate, please.  I do not doubt that any/all of these methods
can work.

I am enjoying the discussions about CEC's.  I do have a tank with kitty
litter/sand substrate and therefore can only comment on that substrate.  I
wish that I was not a poor grad student so that I could afford laterite and
do the experiment that I want to do in order to get some answers.

Matthew T. Mason                              "In matters of style,
Doctoral Student                                    swim with the current;
The Ohio State University                     in matters of principle,
Department of Molecular Genetics        stand like a rock."
mason.163 at osu_edu                            - Thomas Jefferson