Re: substrates

> Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 10:11:16 -0700 (MST)
> From: George Booth <booth at hpmtlgb1_lvld.hp.com>
> Subject: Re: clay, laterite, et al
>
> > Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 23:04:40 -0800
> > From: Stephen Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>

> Georges says;

> I'm afraid I must take issue with this posting. Much of this comes across asfact when, in actuality, it is conjecture.  I have no problem with anyone posting conjecture as such, but I do not want to see this passed of as what sounds like scientific evidence. The author has shown by his own results that he does not yet hold the "key" to the perfect substrate (or even one that works well in the long run). I
> would much prefer see a few "in my humble opinion" and "I think" scattered appropriately throughout claims such as these.

"In my humble opinion",  I think Steve Pushak did an excellent job on his substrate presentation and would like to see more such posting of other substrates being used.

> George says;
> This doesn't jive with my experiences with massive plant growth using plain
> gravel substrates, undergravel filters and Dupla fertilizers. Just what is the
> scientific definition of "optimal"?

This comment suggests that your method of choice does not include laterite. Perhaps you use more than one method that is "optimal".  In my humble opinion, there is no scientific definition for "optimal". It's a subjective term often dependent on the thickness of your wallet and your interests..

> George says;
> And just who is this "we" that you refer to? If you are presuming to speak for
> the collective APD, you are very misguided. If you are presuming to speak for
> the AGA, you are way off base. If you are speaking for yourself and a few
> others, state exactly WHO is giving this advice.

In my humble opinion, I don't think Steve offered his view as a spokesperson for APD or AGA. I also don't think there is a consensus on the optimal substrate by either APD or AGA, and since you didn't state what you think that consencus method might be, it suggests that your methods (Dupla's) is more in line with these groups. This makes me wonder how many in these groups use heating cables or under gravel
filters?

> George says;
> Let us know when you find a substrate recipe that works for more than a few
> months.  Then you can be the self-proclaimed King of Substrates and I will not
> have to get all excited when you post your substrate idea du jour. Until then,
> and as long as I don't have a stroke reading this stuff, I will continue to take
> issue with pompous postings like this.

In my humble opinion, the pompous remarks were not made by Steve.

Happy New Year,
Dan Quackenbush
ps- The last time I posted I mentioned "kitty litter" and it might have caused Cynthia an ad nauseam attack.  Since then, I have seen many posting about or containing the topic of kitty litter. Just in case all this posting has got you hugging the commode, I wish you a speedy recovery for the New Year. :-)