Marsilea, Crypt. bal.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 09:55:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Roxanne Bittman <rbittman at spock_dfg.ca.gov>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: Marsilea, Cryp. bal.

A few posts back, someone mentioned they were growing Marsilea.  I would also like to
try to grow a low Marsilea as a foreground cover.  Does anyone know what species
are available out there?  I will order some from Aquatic Greenhouse soon which
may be M. crenata, not sure.  I failed with Glossostigma in the foreground, so I
have hopes for Marsilea.  Any Marsilea adepts out there with suggestions on
culture?

Roger Miller mentioned that his Cryptocoryne balansae plants were not producing
many leaves.  I have seen this too and it seems that Crytocorynes benefit
greatly from substrate fertilization.  I currently use the Dupla system, but the
Crypts still seem to need the addition of Jobe's plant sticks for Ferns and
Palms (which are mostly N and K, not much P).  I just started using them after
reading about it in one of Karen Randall's posts, and the results are excellent.
My balansaes have put out several new leaves each in the last two weeks!  Before
adding the sticks, I tested the nitrate levels in the tank and they were less
than 7ppm.

Roxanne Bittman