Sv: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #1152

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Aquatic Plants Digest <Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com>
Til: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
Dato: 22. december 1997 10:04
Emne: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #1152

>Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 17:16:29 -0600 (CST)
>From: eworobe at cc_UManitoba.CA
>Subject: Re: Black java fern leaves
>
>In my limited experience the black spots are caused by a nutrient
>deficiency. Some people have suggested iron as the culprit but in my case
>adding iron did not solve the problem. It was not till I started adding
>potassium and nitrates that the black spots stopped forming on new
>leaves... this suggests that a wide range of nutrients could cause these
>spots when deficient.
>
>dave.

Sorry for the delay in answering, but here it is (from www.tropica.dk):

Microsorum pteropus is a water fern and is found attached to roots and rocks in Nature. The olive green leaves grow from a horizontal rhizome. To begin with the new plant should be attached to the substrate with a thin wire or a rubberband until new anchor roots have been formed.
Microsorum pteropus does not require any special attension and surrives and even grows at very low light intensities although at a lower growth rate. It accepts very soft water and up to even brackish water. Microsorum pteropus is easily reproduced from small adventitious plants which is formed on the older leaves. This process is induced if the leaf floats at the surface and the new plants grow bigger.

The black spots forming on the abaxial leaf side is not due to patogens as often interpreted but rather sporangia needed in the sexual reproduction of the plant.

BTW my tank-plants are mostly javaferns, both bought from tropica, and some of the small ones you get from the old leaves, whitch I use as a sort of foreground plant since they generally only getabout 5 cm/2inch tall.

Thomas D. Kryger
TDKryger at get2net_dk
http://hjem.get2net.dk/TDKryger/ (in danish, sorry.)
There are no endings save death, only pauses for breath, and new
begginnings. Always, new beginnings...it's why the world grows
ever more crowded, ye see. So remember, now - there are no endings,
only beginnings. There; simple enough. isn't it? Elegant, too.
                         Tharghin "Threeboots" Ammatar