Green Water (QYNGA?)

> From: "Mike Lehman" <mlehman at watchit_com>
>
> I went to the archives and the FAQ and read all about green water.  It has
> been talked about quite extensively.  Unfortunately, many of the ways to get
> rid of green water are opposites.  Some recommend doing nothing and waiting,
> others recommend varying the light source (some up, some down), still others
> suggest varying the nutrients (some suggest too few, some too much).  Others
> recommend introducing daphnia (I am having a hard time finding out what it
> is and where to get it).  I have a population of snails (they must have come
> with the plants).  Hair algae does not seem to be as much of a problem.

I beleive green water in the tank is one of those things caused by
imbalances, and will eventually go away if there is a proper balance of
nutrients, light, plants and filtration.  The suggestions are basically
different approaches to speeding this up, and fall into the categories of

  1) limiting a crucial factor that the algae is consuming
  2) increasing a crucial factor that allows the plants to outcompete the
     algae for the remaining factors
  3) physically removing the algae until the tank re-balances.

Decreasing light or various nutrients falls under (1), and increasing
light or nutrients (essentially the PMDD thesis!) falls under (2). Daphnia
is the equivalent of an algae-eating fish for green water, and covers (3).
In order to try (1) or (2), you probably should know your conditions well.
(3) will not be a permanent solution unless your plants adjust to the
tank conditions.

You know, now that I look at it, the above paragraphs can basically apply
to any algae plague.

Daphnia, btw, are water crustaceans, and can sometimes be harvested from
ponds.  Usually, you can get them from other hobbyists who culture them
for food.  They must be kept in a tank with no fish or other predators, or
they will not be able to reproduce (which is key for eliminating the
algae).  When they have elminated the algae, however, they make a great
hi-protein dinner for your fish.

  - Erik

---
Erik Olson