Re: Lace Plant

>Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 03:35:58 -0500
>From: mason.163 at osu_edu (Matthew T. Mason)
>Subject: Lace Plant
>
>Has anyone had any luck with the lace plant (Matagascar -sp?)?

I had one going continuously for five years without any dormant period,
during which time it bloomed a number of times and produced many seedlings.
I used about a quarter inch of "soil soup" covered with 1.5 inches of
gravel.  The preparation of soil soup was discussed in APD V2, # 1139.  In
my opinion, lace plants benefit a great deal from having some "companion"
plants growing nearby with their roots in contact with those of the lace
plant.  Low growing crypts, such as C. x willisii (formerly nevillii) make
good companion plants.  Lace plants do not like a lot of organic matter in
their soil, and the companion plants are essential.  The water I have is
soft, but rather alkaline due to a lot of naturally occurring sodium
bicarbonate.  The lace plant benefitted a lot from regular CO2 additions.
It was in a 15 gallon aquarium with two, 20 watt, cool white, fluorescent
lights.

Paul Krombholz, in Jackson, Mississippi where we had 7 inches of snow
Sunday.