Re: Epsom Salts

>Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 16:49:08 -0500
>From: Bill Warner <lww at ictech_net>
>Subject: Epsom Salts
>
>>3.  Does anyone know the relative concentrations of these compounds/ions?
>
>Given the formula above you should be able to figure that out.

Not true Bill Warner. Water content (over 7H2O content), purity, and
percent of the compound present contribute to the concentration.  So,
thanks to the other postees and to my chemistry background we (I) can only
assume a certain concentration.  That is why I asked.

>Hmm.  One thinks that you might have been able to answer this question for
>yourself with the resources of OSU at your disposal.  Surely OSU has at
>least one freshman chemistry book lying around in library someplace...

No chemistry book that I previously looked in had Epsom Salt concentrations
and percentages.  Therefore, I thought APD could help....

>Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 20:08:51 -0800
>From: Stephen Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>Subject: Re: Salts (Epsom)
>
>Matthew Mason asks about hardness salts
>Epsom salt = Mg2SO4 * 7H2O
>No calcium which is one of the important ingredients in hard water for
>plants. It's fairly soluble. Use some of this together with calcium
>chloride which is also soluble if you don't like waiting for calcium
>carbonate to dissolve. Why do you object to carbonate?

No objections at all, and thanks for the reply BTW - I was just trying to
get information in order to try some hardness and alkalinity experiments.
Thanks!

Matthew T. Mason                              "All biologists are elements
Doctoral Student                                    in a philosophical
The Ohio State University                     paradox: Life
Department of Molecular Genetics        measuring itself."
mason.163 at osu_edu