Amazon Swords

I have some amazon sword plants in a 55 gal. tank that have been
growing well for some time.  I'll soon be tearing down and moving the
tank and, obviously, re-planting all of my plants.  Over time, as the
swords have grown and old, lower leaves have been trimmed off, the
rhizomes of the plants have gotten larger until the crowns of the
plants are now well above gravel level.  Before I re-plant, should I
trim the rhizomes?  If so, how?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Brad Grenard
Otterbein, IN
brgrenard at hfs_purdue.edu