Aphids gone!

At 03:48 PM 12/4/97 -0500, Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

>Aquatic Plants Digest   Thursday, December 4 1997   Volume 02 : Number 1117
>Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 14:51:02 -0500
>From: "Merrill Cohen" <amc2 at ix_netcom.com>
>Subject: Re: Aphids gone!
>
>I found an easy solution ( dumb luck) by placing a small power head  to
>move the surface of the water.  The Aphids evidentally didn't like this
>enviroment and they are gone.  Give it a try and post your results.  I have
>lots of surface plants, like Hydrocotyle varieties, Ludwigia
>helminthorrhiza, Phyllanthus fluitans, and two varieties of Duckweek --
>they are now clean of Aphids and don't mind being moved around continually
>by the power head moving the surface.

I'm trying to get caught up on some back issues of the digest and somebody
has probably already mentioned this, but duckweed doesn't like to be pushed
around a lot by wind or water currents. In fact, this seems to be the only
reliable way to get rid of it once it has established itself in a tank short
of tearing the tank down and bleaching everything. Create enough current to
push it all to one side and instead of watching the patch steadily grow to
take over your tank choking out everything beneath it, it will slowly shrink
and die off.

-- dj