Re: Ghost SHrimp ID

     >I have also gotten these same shrimp at 8 for $1 and while they do
     >eat my algae very well, they always die after a few weeks in my
     >tanks, no matter which tank they are in.  No one picks on them and
     >they really clean up on the algae.  I was wondering if very low KH
     >and GH might be causing problems with their exoskeleton formation?

     If your shrimp are dying immediately after or during a molt, then I
     would suspect low calcium.  Crustaceans have the ability to conserve
     and store calcium, though, so your water would have to be practically
     calcium-free for this to occur.  Also, many eat their discarded
     exoskeletons as a means of reclaiming lost nutrients.

     Otherwise, I suspect you may have a brackish/saltwater species,
     probably Palaemonetes vulgaris or P. pugio, aka grass shrimp.  These
     are two common species found along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts; one
     can literally collect hundreds of these shrimp with a a seine along
     any coastal marsh, with little effort.

     These shrimp have a high tolerance for fresh water, but cannot survive
     there permanently.

     Kind regards,

     Mark