Plants for Lake Tanganyika tank

> Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 09:49:28 GMT
> From: crom at cris_com (Crom)
> Subject: Splitting Anubias rhizome, algaed Anubias, ...
>
> Last question:  I know that Vallisneria will tolerate rift-lake
> conditions, but all of my rooted plants are kept in tanks with soil
> substrates, and my rift-lake tanks are sand, ranging from #1-#4.  Will
> they do well in this substrate?

I've got two kinds of Vallisneria in a sand-substrate Lake Tanganyika tank
and they do just fine.  I've also got Malaysian trumpet snails in there,
if it makes any difference.  I have Java fern and Java moss on the rocks.
For floating plants I have duckweed, Wolffia (a sort of micro-duckweed)
and Limnobium laevigata (frogbit).  All of these grow very well, and I
harvest the frogbit every few weeks and haul it in for store credit.  All
these plants are growing under less that 1.5 watts per gallon, mix of
gro-lux wide spectrum and cool white.