Re: swimming microbes

About the nitrophilic bacteria in the water:

Cynthia you are correct. The only way filter media become
colonized is because the bugs are already floating around. Since
the "food" source for nitrophiles is also floating around I would
wager that the impetus for colonization is probably similar to
filter feeders: wait for the food to come to you. Also in a
colony the likelihood of gene exchange is higher which makes for
a more survivable bug. As to predation, I guess survival is
enhanced if the bugs adhere to convoluted surfaces etc. which
hides them from daphnia, chlamydomonas (guessing at bacterial
predators).

Marshall Wilkinson
Calgary Alberta