Re: Electrode CO2

> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 08:58:15 +0800
> From: "Chiao Lun" <ccl at cheerful_com>
> Subject: New kind of CO2 kit ( electrode-based )
>
> I saw a CO2 kit at my LFS the other day and the cover said it put two
> electrodes in the water and one of the electrodes would be made of carbon.
> The Carbon electrode has a negative charge and the carbon reacts with the
> oxygen produced while the other electrode bubbles hydrogen.
>
> The device is marked 150W and costs US$200
>
> Is such a device possible?

Chiao,

Sounds like an old experiment we used to do in highschool.  We used two
electrodes and break up water into hydrogen and oxygen.  We then would
light the hydrogen on fire.  Made a really neat popping sound.  Anyhow, I
can't remember what the electrodes were made of, but I would be cautious
of purchasing it.  Talk to some local profs.  at a nearby college to
you.  They should be able to tell you if you would really get CO2 out of
the reaction.  I also seem to remember that it used quite a bit of energy
to drive the reaction.  But if it's only 150Watts, that doesn't seem too
bad.  Let us know the more you find out about it.

Cheers,

Mark
-------
pearlsco at u_washington.edu