re: chloramine and water conditioners

Don Hutton said:

>However, I still wonder if the chloramine remover
>will deprive the plants of ammonia.  It seems to me that it
>would be difficult to dose just the right amount of
>chloramine remover such that there was no effect
>on the ammonia produced by fish waste etc.

Since the chloramine remover works by converting ammonia to ammonium ion,
and since plants can utilize ammonium ion as well as ammonia, there's no
need to come up with a "right dose."  Add the appropriate amount of
dechloraminator (dictated by the chloramine level of your water) to your
water and let your plants slurp up the ammonium.

Cynthia