Re: "Sodium Biphosphate"

> From: rjw at aluxs_micro.lucent.com (Ronald Wozniak)
> Subject: Will the Real Sodium Biphoshate Formula Please Stand Up
>
> However, I tried looking up the formula in several references but
> couldn't find it!!

	The problem is that it isn't a legitimate name!
The fact that it is used in pH down means that it must be
sodium dihydrogen phosphate, NaH2PO4.  The alternative,
disodium hydrogen phosphate, would raise the pH.

	The pKa of  H2PO4-   <->   HPO4--   +   H+  is 7.1,
so the combination of H2PO4- and HPO4-- is just about ideal
for a buffer in the range we usually want.

	Of course, there are other snags....

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada