Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #1096

In Aquatic Plants Digest    Monday, November 24 1997    Volume 02 :
> Number 1096

> Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 21:02:48 -0600
> From: Cynthia S Powers <cyn at metronet_com>
> Subject: Dennerle algae control

(snip)
> >    Some eighteen months ago I received some booklets issued by
> Dennerle
> >which appear to provide additional information on Dennerle philosphy.
> >Quoting from their booklet "Algae problems? We solved them long ago"
(snip)
> >well and produce more and more oxygen, far too much for the fish to
> >consume in such large quatities.
> >   (more snips)
> >    Excessive amounts of oxygen will quickly destroy natural
> chelates:
> >the water will become more "aggressive".  The excessively high oxygen
> >content destroys the essential vitamins and renders the trace
> elements
> >inactive.  Plants, as well as fish, will then suffer from trace
> element
> >and vitamin deficiencies.
> >   Because the conditions are ideal for algae, they will displace the
> >aquatic plants more and more.  Little by little, the plants will die
> as
> >a result of such unfavourable living conditions."

Well, IMHO, Dennerle is full of chelated crap. I have lots of
brown/black algae, and I use PMDD and DIY co2.  My Fe tests out at 0.1,
just where I want it. My plants are growing as fast as I could wish.
They are nice and green, and my C. wendtii stands up nice and straight,
is a nice bronze color, and puts out at least one leaf a week. I have to
trim the stem plants every week. If they grew any faster, I would throw
them out! O2 bubbles come from many plants, and no plants are dying. Nor
are any  fish.

Harold Pachtman
harold at azpedeye_com
ICQ# 2575158