draining tank water and environmental responsibility

Karen recently mentioned that we need to take precautions to prevent the
introduction of plants, algae and spores into surface waters. Hopefully
no one is draining their tanks into open waterways but I think most of
us drain our tanks into our drains (wherever that goes). I confess I
hadn't given much thought to where that water goes except to assume that
it goes into some kind of sewage treatment system. I don't know much
about sewage treatment. Are these systems sufficient to prevent
contamination of macrophytes? How can we be sure that we're not
introducing foreign strains of algae and bacteria into our local
ecosystems? Are there any reasonable precautions that we could take?

Steve Pushak

Steve's Aquatic Page       http://home.infinet.net/teban/
last updated Nov 22. 1997