QYNGA: Heaters under the tank

>Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 12:58:12 -0600
>From: Rick Morrison <RickM at firstlogic_com>
>
>Is it possible to use a reptile under-tank heater for substrate heating?
>The heaters I have seen are approximately 8 - 25 watts and 8" x 8" to 8"
>x 17".  Approximate cost of $10-15  They stick to the bottom of the tank
>and resemble rear-window defroster "grids".  I suppose you could use
>more than one for full coverage.
>
>Thanks, Rick

I know this question has been asked over and over and answered at length
long ago, but here goes.

Yes, you can heat your substrate from below.  Do not expect to set up the
substrate convection currents that you would get from heating cables, but
you may still see positive results from "warm feet".

--
David W. Webb