Re: Surface Scum and floating plants

> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 06:51:52 -0800 (PST)
> From: Erik Olson <eriko at wrq_com>
>
> As you mention in your original, the only sure fire way I've been able
> to stop surface scum has been to use an airstone in the tank, skim the
> surface (which is the best), or keep lots of floating plants.

Hmmm, in our case, floating plants (Frogbit) start to block the
skimmer after awhile and prevent the scum from being sucked in. And
they don't seem to combat it on their own. What plants help prevent
the scum from forming?

It's easy to tell when the skimmer is blocked, cause the scum gets
pretty thick and traps the O2 bubbles coming off the plants. The water
surface begins to look like a bubble nest builder went postal.

In a related incident, we had a 29 gallon tank sitting next to our
120g tank to raise some rainbow fry.  The 29 was linked to the 120
with a siphon tube (coming from the 120 to the 29) and an Eheim 2213
(pumping water from the 29 to the 120).  This allowed the 29 to share
the good filtration and water quality with the 120 and kept the fry
from becoming a between meal snack.

Even though the 120 was scum free with a trickle filter skimmer, a film
quickly built up on the 29, requiring an extractor.  I not sure what
this proves other than "it's in the water".

George