Re: Calcium source, etc

> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 21:14:35 -0800
> From: Stephen Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>
> what is a good chemical source of calcium that won't increase carbonate
> hardness? CaCl?

Yes.

> Will it affect pH?

Not unless the Cl- ion does (I don't think it does but I'm not 100%
sure).

> do humic acids interfere with measurements of carbonate hardness?

You can't directly measure carbonate hardness.  All the test kits I
know of measure alkalinity.  If bicarbonate ions are the only source
of alkalinity in your water, then you have indirectly measured
carbonate hardness.

> would it cause a positive or negative error in measurement?

Aren't humic acids difficult to define?  It depends on the makeup of
the humic acids. If compounds in the humic acids affect alkalinity in
one way or the other, it will affect the indirect carbonate hardness
measurement the same way.

I think Dupla's web site had a discussion on humic acids in answer to
a question from an APD-ite. You might check to see if it's still
there. www.dupla.com

George