Re: advantages and disadvantages of natural light

> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:41:05 -0800
> From: Stephen Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
>
> Well one pretty good advantage of natural light ...
>  <chainsaw>
> ...The variability of natural light is often mentioned as a disadvantage

I guess I'm in a peculiar situation, because, believe it or not, all
my aquariums are indoors!  Designing, building and installing a Sun
Tracker that could collect and distribute free sunlight to my three
widely scattered tanks would cost the equivalent of 9.6 years worth of
electricity, not including the future difficulty of selling a house
with such a device installed.

> Uwe Behle and George got into a great discussion on this subject in
> that Krib URL I referenced above. Uwe says in the Aug 9, 93 article
> that it is suggested by H. J. Krause and Dennerle to have a dark
> period, either a noon dark period (Dennerle) or an entire dark day
> once a week (Krause). This is something new for all you folks battling
> algae to try!!

It was great until we both decided it didn't work AND it killed off all
my Rotala macrandra. I was doing a 2 hour dark period (4 on, 2 off, 6
on).  Good theory, bad practice.  Sorry.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at fii_com)
Need Info?  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts.htm