Re: Duckweek and nitrogen fixation

>Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 00:25:55 -0500 (EST)
>From: TYELLA at aol_com
>
>Hello all,
>      I may be misremebering, but doesn't duckweed fix atmospheric
nitrogen?
> If so, it may cause some problems.   I doubt, however, that an aquarium
will
>ever be nitrogen limited, so maybe there will be no problem at all.

No, duckweed is unable to fix atmospheric nitrogen.

You'd be surprised at how easily a heavily planted tank can run out of
nitrates.  Not only can it happen, but when it happens, you often have
phosphate-related algae problems.

--
David W. Webb           Texas Instruments
(972) 575-3443 (voice)  http://www.dallas.net/~dwebb